Support and Manage Editors
>> Back to Editing and Publishing Core Competencies
This module is about supporting internal and external editors by providing them with information and support, troubleshooting and suggesting alternatives to ensure that publishing products are developed in line with objectives.
At the end of this module, the CLE professional will be able to do the following:
- Agree, between yourself and editors, expectations of each other’s roles, responsibilities, working methods and communication channels
- Make sure that editors understand and are committed to work within organizational constraints, production processes and schedules
- Maintain regular contact with editors to preempt and address problems before ad as they arise
- Give support to editors on organizational processes to ensure quality publishing products
- Give advice on rights and copyright, referring to others when this is outside your area of expertise
- Liaise with editors at appropriate times to discuss and agree overall direction of publishing products
- Ensure that systems to review editors’ performance are maintained
- Encourage editors to attend conferences to maintain contacts and develop knowledge.
The following learning activities and resources support this module:
- Brook, Julie and Selby, Laura (2011). Role of Editor in Digital World. Paper presented at ACLEA’s 2011 Annual Meeting in Boston, MA.
- Russell, Linda and Morrison, Diane, et. al (2016). ACLEA Guide to Best Practices in Legal Publishing. Paper presented at ACLEA’s 2016 Annual Meeting in Seattle, WA.
- One Note
- Carroll, M., Ruppert, R., and Wagan, C. (2011). Learning From Our Mistakes – Part II. Paper presented at ACLEA’s 2011 Annual Meeting in Boston, MA.
- Munro, S. and Reilly, C.(2011). Managing Authors & Editors to Get Books Done. Paper presented at ACLEA’s 2011 Annual Meeting in Boston, MA.
- ACLEA Pub Levitt Curriden Authors on Editors 2011 Boston, Authors on Editors PDF (200.42 KB), 2011 Annual (Boston)
- ACLEA Pub Munro Reilly Managing Authors and Editors 2011 Boston, Managing Authors & Editors PDF (319.07 KB), 2011 Annual (Boston)
- ACLEA Pub Selby Brook Role of the Editor in a Digital World 2011 Boston, The Role of the Editor in a Digital World PDF (842.11 KB), 2011 Annual (Boston)
Read and frequently visit governmental sites regarding the laws and regulations on intellectual property: