Marketing and Bibliographic Data
>> Back to Editing and Publishing Core Competencies
This module is about managing the creating and updating and dissemination of bibliographic information, that is relevant to people working in editorial, marketing and sales.
At the end of this module, the CLE professional will be able to:
- Identify and apply industry standards for the content of bibliographic records.
- How and when to amend or add bibliographic information, and the relevant standards to be used.
- The organizations that need to receive bibliographic information and their requirements.
- Maintain bibliographic records which are factually correct and in formats for dissemination.
- Maintain a system to update bibliographic and metadata information in response to market and product changes.
- Develop and/or identify metadata, such a keywords and descriptions.
- Ensure that any facts and figures quoted are accurate.
- Comply with laws, regulations and guidelines that govern publishing and marketing.
- Determine what influences the markets’ purchasing power and purchasing decisions.
- Determine what influences and stimulates audience interest in the publishing product.
- Identify the sources of information about general and specific changing needs of your market, market trends, and areas of growth and decline.
- Understand the size, needs, tastes and buying/usage patterns of your market.
- Develop an organization’s brand values and how they can be communicated.
- How to obtain and interpret qualitative and quantitative market information about your own and other organizations’ publications.
The following learning activities and resources support this module:
- Russell, Linda and Morrison, Diane, et. al (2016). ACLEA Guide to Best Practices in Legal Publishing. Paper presented at ACLEA’s 2016 Annual Meeting in Seattle, WA.
- Woll, T. and Raccah, D. Publishing for Profit (Chicago Review Press, 2014).
Attend conference(s) that will build your skills and knowledge in book marketing and bibliographic data.
Read and (Register if applicable):