Name: Michael Kahn
Organization: ReelTime Creative Learning Experiences
1. What did you do in your pre-CLE life and what brought you to the CLE world?
I was a Deputy Attorney General with the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General, representing the Department of Corrections and the Department of Environmental Protection.
After six years of practicing law, I became a mental health counselor. I met my eventual business partner, Chris Osborn, on the Lawyer Support Committee of the Mecklenburg County Bar (Charlotte, NC). We have Lisa Armanini, the CLE Director of the Meck Bar, to thank for giving us our first opportunity to present a CLE program. ReelTime CLE was formed shortly thereafter.
2. How long have you been a member of ACLEA?
3. What do you remember from your first ACLEA meeting?
Two words: “acceptance” and “warmth.”
4. What has surprised you most about being a member of ACLEA?
The only time I was surprised was at my first ACLEA meeting in Boston. I was not expecting our “competitors” to be so generous.
5. What other leadership positions(s) within ACLEA did you hold before joining the Executive Committee?
I was co-chair of the Vendors and Speakers SIG.
6. What motivated you to become a member of ACLEA’s Executive Committee?
ACLEA has been a great source of support and friendships so I knew that I would enjoy working on the EC. Also, I want to help ACLEA face current challenges, particularly during COVID, and anticipate the post-pandemic environment.
7. What would you tell someone who is thinking about running for a position on the ACLEA Executive Committee?
Talk to folks who have served on the EC so you are making an informed decision. It serves the individual and the EC well when there is a good fit.
8. What do you think is the most important issue facing CLE organizations today?
As I noted above, facing current challenges due to COVID and anticipating the post-pandemic environment.
9. What do you think will change about CLE in the next five years?
Sadly, less and less in-person live programming.
10. If you weren’t involved in CLE, what do you think you would be doing instead?
Working in the film industry—either in front of or behind the camera.
11. What do you like to do when you aren’t working?
Watch films, exercise, root for my favorite sports teams (Mets, Giants, Trailblazers, Devils), all things music (sing, play the guitar, listen), eat pizza, and laugh (the last two are essential to my work life as well J).
12. Tell us one thing that the ACLEA membership should definitely know about you.
I act in community theater.