>> Back to Editing and Publishing Core Competencies
This module describes what a legal publishing professional needs to understand and consider in determining which publishing technologies, processes, and strategies, to choose for the content they seek to publish.
At the end of this module, the CLE professional will be able to:
- Explain how to research, identify, and evaluate new publishing technologies (both software and hardware) that impact digital products and services and how they apply to publishing products
- Describe development process, schedule, and budget for publishing technology projects
- Summarize the strategies and functional requirements for user-centered design, interface design, and prototyping for publishing technology projects
- Evaluate existing in-house hardware and software and relevant expertise needed for particular publishing project (e.g., Word or XML, online book or ebook, etc.)
- Define target and secondary audiences and their interests, requirements, and technical capabilities for digital products and test prototype with users and gather feedback
- Recognize practical, technical, technological, and financial limitations related to the development of digital products or services
- Identify relevant platforms on which content will be accessed to suit technological and user needs
- Set parameters to define the scope for successful digital products or services
- Identity opportunities and methods for updating, spinoffs, and add-ons
- Understand Digital Rights Management (DRM) for ebooks and how to protect your content
- Understand distribution options for online content (your own employer, existing online distributors such as Amazon, Apple, Google, etc.)
The following learning activities and resources support this module:
- Houtari, Kristin (2015). Technology and Publications – So Much Information and So Many Choices! Paper presented at ACLEA’s 2015 Annual Meeting Bootcamp in Chicago, IL.
- Kruschke, Linda et al (2015). Online Publications Are the New Brick – eCommerce Is the New Mortar: Three Case Studies. Paper presented at ACLEA’s 2015 Annual Meeting in Chicago, IL.
- Munro, Susan (2013). The Future of Legal Publishing – Scanning the Horizon. Paper presented at ACLEA’s 2013 Annual Meeting in Baltimore, MD.
- Hoefling, Jill and Turcotte, Annette (2012). Ebooks – Taking the Plunge. Paper presented at ACLEA’s 2012 Mid-Year Meeting in New Orleans, LA.
- Selby, Laura and Brook, Julie Hammel (2011). A Day in the Life: The Role of the Legal Editor in the Digital World. Paper presented at ACLEA’s Annual Meeting in Boston, MA.
- Henley, Barron (2011). Word 2007/2010: A Complete Publishing Solution? Paper presented at ACLEA’s 2011 Mid-Year Meeting in New Orleans, LA.
- Russell, Linda and Morrison, Diane, et. al (2016). ACLEA Guide to Best Practices in Legal Publishing. Paper presented at ACLEA’s 2016 Annual Meeting in Seattle, WA.
- ACLEA Pub Cunningham Desiging Books for iPad 2011 Boston, EPUB - Designing eBooks for iPad PDF (608.9 KB), 2011 Annual (Boston)
- ACLEA Pub Cunningham Publishing eBooks on iPad 2011 Boston, Publishing eBooks on iPad PDF (723.12 KB), 2011 Annual (Boston)
- ACLEA Pub Henley Slating McMahon PDF Word and Automation 2017 Nashville, Monday-E1-PDFWordandAutomation.pdf PDF (13.78 MB), 2017 Mid year (Nashville)
- ACLEA Pub Hoefling Turcotte Ebooks Taking the Plunge 2012 New Orleans, E-Books Taking the Plunge PDF (351.89 KB), 2012 Mid-Year (New Orleans)
- ACLEA Pub Kruschke LeBlanc McAllister Online Publications 2015 Chicago, Online Publications Are the New Brick PDF, 2015 Annual (Chicago)
- ACLEA Pub McFadden McKnight Update on the World of Print 2016 Seattle, Tuesday-F3-Update-on-the-World-of-Print.pdf PDF (367.94 KB), 2016 Annual (Seattle)
- ACLEA Pub Sandle eBooks 2014 Austin, eBooks, Sandle (Sharon) PDF (240.12 KB), 2014 Mid-Year (Austin)
- ACLEA Pub Sneirson Is Your Content Safe 2016 Savannah, Tuesday 2: Is Your Content Safe? PDF (203.47 KB), 2016 Mid year (Savannah)
- ACLEA Pub Travis Fischer Online Books eBooks Document Assembly 2012 Denver , Online Books, E-Books, Doc Assembly PDF (205.23 KB), 2012 Annual (Denver)
- ACLEA Pub Windsor eBooks 2014 Austin, Ebooks, Windsor (Michelle) PDF (201.3 KB), 2014 Mid-Year (Austin)
Watch videos available on www.lynda.com in the Page Layout, Print Design, Ebooks, and Digital Publishing libraries.
Attend conference(s) that will build your skills and knowledge of the publishing environment.